The Bureau of Labor Statistics has released employment projections for healthcare during the 2016 to 2026 time period.
Here are six things to know.
1. The healthcare and social assistance sector is projected to add nearly 4 million jobs over the decade, according to the BLS.
2. Healthcare support occupations are projected to grow 23.2 percent by 2026, while healthcare practitioners and technical occupations are projected to grow 15.2 percent.
3. The two occupational groups account for nearly half of the 30 fastest growing occupations over the decade, according to the BLS.
4. The top 10 projected fastest growing occupations include home health aids, physician assistants, nurse practitioners and physical therapist assistants. These occupations are projected to grow 46.7 percent, 37.4 percent, 36 percent and 30.8 percent, respectively.
5. The BLS said multiple factors contribute to the projected growth in these and other healthcare occupations. Those factors include the aging baby boomer population as well as a growing number of people with chronic conditions.
6. Overall, U.S. employment is projected to grow to 167.6 million by 2026, up 11.5 million from 156.1 million.
More articles on human capital:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.